A FUN ‘FINALE’ !!
Final points night at Grandview is in the books…The season ending race (s) were a success for team 22 ! Special thanks to JDT Construction for the brand new hauler for the night , it was awesome !! Make up 30 lap feature we pulled off a 10th place finish !! After a great performance by the crew after a heat race electrical malfunction, the #22 qualified through the consi for the second feature of the night. We started 28th and finished the 30 lap main event 14th… a great team performance, run and ending to our maiden voyage in the ultra-competitive modified division. Some teams can outperform us, some teams can out spend us, some team can out drink us, but NO ONE will outwork us. Thank you Wendy, Cathy, Missie, JD, Al, Chris, and Kylie for pitting Saturday night, it was a long night but one of the most fun and rewarding night’s we’ve had. This week…After cleaning up the JDT Construction #22, a few bumper replacements, rub rails straightened, some wiring, some tires and fuel, we will verify that we will be signing in for the Freedom 76er in memory of Bruce Rogers this Saturday. This race brings about 75 competitors through the gates , all hungry for a piece of the action. See press release below for more details on the biggest paying race of the year. Check out www.grandviewspeedway.com for track updates/points and changes in scheduling. Friend Geezer Fanelli on Facebook for nothing but fun, and shenanigans… oh, and any racing news/plans for the future, we will know more shortly about 2018.
- Team 22 performed with heavy hearts Saturday… May our pit neighbor and all around great guy Dave Smith rest in peace, he left us way too soon, our thoughts are also with all of our friends in Florida as they deal with cleanup of much damage.
- Special thanks to Hunter and Jay for helping hand out autograph cards, and stuff at the Meat-N-Greet, so nice to see them having fun at the track !!
- Huge congratulations to the 2017 Grandview Speedway Champions in their respective divisions: Craig Vondohren is the TP Trailer 358 NASCAR Whelen All American points champ, his 10th championship over his 30 year career at Grandview !! Brian Hirthler earned his first championship in the Sportsman division !! Chuck Schutz won his 8th championship in the BRC Late Model division !! Quite the accomplishment at one of thee most challenging tracks in the nation.
- The Meat-N-Greet was a hit due in part for all the goodies for the fans… thanks Missie Hoffman owner of Checkered Flag Bakery for the homemade cookies and brownies, they went quick !! Thanks Cathy Green for the gift bags full of candy/glow sticks… and Wendy Wojnar for the Dunkin Donitz !! Autograph cards, stickers, hats, and shirts compliments of Horn Plumbing were gone by 6 pm. Thank you everyone !!
- Thanks Low Down and Dirty show for hosting us for the Meat-N-Greet and Reverend Don for announcing/interviewing the event.
- Thanks Joe –d-ms for supplyinG the meaninGful vinyl, means - lot bud. LOL ‘this is – test’ and is Princess Jenn Whitenight still reading?? ‘another test’ .
- Great to see Chuck Weiss roaming the pits Saturday night, as Sean was busy running an ironman event locally and couldn’t run their awesome #24 Sportsman.
- Thank you Brian Housekenecht for allowing us to use a part for the race.
- Too many great folks to list made it to the Meat-N-Greet and visited after the races Saturday, for that a HUGE THANKS from team 22.
- Hi Coach Pete !!
- Don’t get all excited, their will likely be one more Gazette… tell me what you’d like more of for next year, I’ll let the team of editors, public relations department and photographers know. HA
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR 2017 MARKETING PARTNERS:
JDT CONSTRUCTION - EXTON BEVERAGE COMPANY - KELLY SECURITY - HORN PLUMBING & HEATING - CHAP KISTLER LOG HOME MAINE VACATION RENTALS - KEYSTONE AIR – ARTHUR SMITH LANDSCAPING - HALY OIL/GREAT VALLEY PROPANE - CFS - CHECKERED FLAG BAKERY – K & W - GIORGIO’S PIZZA & SUBS OF EXTON… Please check these folks out, you will surely enjoy what they have to offer, and without each and every one of them, Geezer would be Grumpy.
AND OF COURSE, CAN’T DO ANY OF THIS WITHOUT THE ALWAYS HARD WORKING AND DEDICATED 22 CREW: CJ, CATHY, AVA LEE, KENDRA, DEB, WENDY, MISSY, HUNTER, JAY, JIM, AL, JD, TODD, RON, JEFF, HIGGINS, KEN, CHRIS, KEVIN, BRETT and DAN.
NEXT EVENT (Thank you Ernie Saxton for letting me use his press release):
MANY TOP NAMES IN THE SPORT HAVE WON THE FREEDOM 76 AND MANY HAVE NOT; MANY WILL BE TRYING FOR THE $30,000 VICTORY AT GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY ON SEPTEMBER 16
BECHTELSVILLE, PA September 10, 2017 . . . Many of the top names in dirt track Modified stock car racing have won the Freedom 76 Classic at Grandview Speedway. And there are many top names in the sport that are still without a win in the prestigious race. Many past winners and non-winners will be entered in the September 16th 47th Annual Freedom 76 Run in Honor of Bruce Rogers, the richest event of its type in the area, looking to grab the $30,000 first place money and the prestige that goes with the victory.
Some of the past winners of the Freedom 76 include Fred Rahmer, Doug Hoffman, Billy Pauch (six times a winner), Ray Swinehart, Stewart Friesen, Kenny Brightbill, Meme DeSantis (three times a winner), Craig VonDohren (a five time winner), Jeff Strunk (six times a winner including last year) Duane Howard ( four wins) and the list goes on. Some of them will be back trying to add to their impressive resumes.
And there will be many top names looking to gain that first win. Entered are Billy Pauch Jr., Ryan Godown, Ryan Watt, Mike Gular, Mike Mahaney, Jared Umbenhauer, Doug Manmiller, Mike Lisowski, Clay Butler, Bobby Trapper, Brian Krummel, Tim Buckwalter, Brian and Brett Kressley, with many more to come.
The Saturday, September 16th event will include a full schedule of qualifying events, a $1,000 to win Pioneer Metal Roofing Cash Dash, the Schaffer Motorsports Minuteman 20 and the 76-lap Freedom 76.
Ticket windows open at 3:30 p.m. while advance ticketholders will be admitted at 3 p.m. Advance tickets will be available for $35 on Friday night at the track and will be priced at $40 on race day..
Youngsters, 6 thru 11, pay $10 while kids under 6 are admitted free.
Bobby Gunther Walsh and his race team sponsors including Just Born Candies and Mrs T’s Pierogies has posted $500 for the Hard Charger Award while Len Sammons and his Motorsports 2018 Racing Trade Show and his Allentown indoor racing events have posted $100 for the leader at the halfway mark.
The night before the Freedom 76 there will be a doubleheader show featuring the Sportsman stock cars and Mid-Atlantic Sprint Series 305 Sprints. Sportsman will top their night with a 38-lap feature, the Freedom 38’er paying $1500 to win. Modifieds entered in the Freedom 76 will be allowed practice time. Adult admission is $12 while youngsters, 6 thru 11, pay $5 and kids under 6 enter free.
Racing both nights starts at 7 p.m.
Rain date for the Freedom 76 is Saturday, September 23rd while the night before events will not be rescheduled should there be a rainout.
Camping on the speedway grounds is permitted in the 4th turn area of the parking lot. There are no hookups available. No open fires are permitted. No saving of spaces allowed. Some areas for parking may have fees.
The 47th annual Freedom 76 will close out the regular Saturday night schedule of racing events except for the October 14th Thunder on the Hill Halloween Party that will feature the Mods at the Madhouse Big Block/358 Modifieds in a 40 lapper, Sportsman and MASS Sprints.
For race information check in at www.grandviewspeedway.com and click on the Freedom 76 link or telephone 610.754.7688.
Grandview Speedway is located on Passmore Road, just off Route 100, in Bechtelsville, PA, 10 miles north of Pottstown.
As always, be safe and have fun, The GEEZER
Pictured below Geezey proudly displaying a NF sticker that Cathy Green secretly had done in remembrance/honor of my Dad, he will ride with me now… and a ‘’Candy American Geezer Tire’’ thanks to Kendra, and JD Nathan for the kids at the Meat-N-Greet Saturday, and Hunter making final adjustments on car before the races.